Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 5

Assignment 1:


a.      What surprised or interested you?
The first thing interested me is that students themselves are taking responsibilities to organize the morning activities. Secondly, Ms. Wilson combined a lot of cultural stuff into the practice of both reading and writing. The traditional dragon is showed in front of the class and students cam even taste the Chinese food in class. On top of that, they are able to create a dragon by hands. It is real cultural experiences. Lastly, the books they have done are all posted on the wall which can be shared with other classes and parents.
b.     What did you find that affirmed what you already knew or had been doing?
Teachers must have a good preparation before class. Abundant learning materials should be provided while learning new knowledge. That’s a good way to help students connect concrete objects with abstract concepts.
c.      What new approaches or ideas will you try?
In my future teaching, I will also let the students take responsibilities to the whole classroom. Collaborative learning is lack in schools in my country, I think that’s a good way to make students share experiences and learn from each other. I will definitely try that as well.
d.     What questions do you have?
This is a class for students who are learning English as their second language. I’m just curious how they are able to pronounce English words as mother tongue. Students in my country started to learn English from the first grade, but more or less, we do have very obvious accent. In addition, I noticed that the instructor Ms. Li spoke Cantonese which might not understand by all the Chinese kids. Why don’t they choose someone speaks Mandarin Chinese?
e. After watching the video, do you think differently about classroom practices you observed through field experience?
I appreciate a lot of Ms. Wilson’s class. She has so many activities for students to learn language. Obviously, students enjoyed those activities very much. In addition, Ms. Wilson said teachers shouldn't take our own background and how we learn, we should think about Children and the cultural implication.


Assignment 2


For the first 5 minutes, I would like to review the words that he didn't pronounce correctly. For the next 5 minutes, practice will be give for distinguishing between similar spelling words but with different meanings. (eg: though and through) For the last 10 minutes, I would like to give him an explanation of the form of singular and plural, then I will let him do some exercise.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your lesson, I think it will be very effective for the goals you set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Review the words is a great way for a student to learn proper pronunciations-and spelling.

    ReplyDelete